Pages

Friday, October 19, 2012

Back to teaching

Several mums are keen for their kids to do more conversational English outside school hours, so I took over what Claire (English friend who has gone back to England, leaving us their house to buy as a new manse!) had been doing over a year ago.


I started with 2 sessions in June before leaving for holidays and Australia. That whet their appetite. We started with 'The Far West'. Then I left them with the dates for sessions starting in October.

I have a group of 5 on Thursdays after school. My daughter is helping me (a sly way of getting her to use her English) and receives a small sum to encourage her participation. I should be having a group of younger kids on Mondays after school but the mums concerned haven't been able to get their act together.

When I teach English, I expect to be paid for it - it's my professional activity. It also ensures that the clientele is commited to the exercise, because I put time, energy and resources into planning. There are so many ideas I've collected over the years that it's really fun to pull them out and use them again. Lucky that photocopiers exist!
It's also a way of being known outside a church context and I'm hoping that these contacts will allow us to invite children and parents to activities organised within our church context. In France Christians have to be really inventive and creative to find ways of bridging the gap between private religious beliefs and access to different publics. Pascal's and my aim is to increase our church's visibility in the community through our members being involved as Christians in community life as well as organising events withing the church to which we can invite 'outsiders'.
Pray for openings.

No comments:

Post a Comment