Pages

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Speaking of races ...

It's a bit crazy, but I've decided to ride in a bike race which has 30 odd routes around our region of Ardèche. The race is called the Ardèchoise and is held in mid-June. There have been up to 15,000 participants over 3 days and all the villages on the routes get decked out in colours, decorations, themes, costumes ...

Why am I doing this ? Because I'm turning 50 this June and I need to have a challenge. I figured that a physical challenge would improve my long term health, set me up for the next 10 years, and in the short term help me to work better and to de-stress. (See previous posting!)
Unfortunately for me the shortest circuit that will be available this year is 80 km long and in Ardèche it's not flat!!! However, friends from our church are regular participants in this event and have assured me of their support. They said they would ride with me - but they will have to drop their standards to stay with me! I'm already feeling very inadequate and embarassed but if I want to achieve my goal (of finishing!!!) I have to swallow all pride, drum up extra self-discipline, and get training. "No pain, no gain" as my ballet teachers used to say. Pastor Charles Lazaro, who baptised me in Hamilton, used to say it also, probably talking on spiritual growth at the time.

My dear husband found a second-hand home fitness bike for my Christmas present.

Luc trying out my training equipment
 I have been working up my speed and number of kms per hour, trying for around 4 times/week.
 I cannot do this alone, inspite of it being a personal effort. I need your support and prayers; I need constant encouragement and the company of friends; I need a long-term training programme to be ready in time; I need personal discipline and perseverance; I need the right basic equipment - a suitable bike and comfortable clothing (it's really hard on one's backside!!)

So what better image could I find for "running the good race and finishing in order to win the prize that God has prepared for each of us." This is what Pascal and I have been called to do in our Christian service context. Not only have we benefitted from others' ministries, we are aware of how we can accompany and encourage others to develop their spiritual muscles.

It's all about perseverance, and self-discipline, and courage, and conviction, and understanding the value of this race, and the joy of participating, of finishing,


No comments:

Post a Comment