Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

A question of time and timing

I've spent the last few months  (actually, if I'm honest I've probably spent most of my life) worrying about time!

The article below from our SIM Australia office really hit home for me as I'm worrying again about my capacity to work in various areas, my energy levels and time management because we haven't yet got the go ahead to start renovations in the new manse which we then have to move into. The admin side is moving slowly, but too slowly for what I had planned. I absolutely didn't want to move in September because it's the beginning of the new school year and all the regular activities start up. I know what's in store and that there are new activities to develop and I just feel incapable of dealing with all that plus setting up house.

I don't mind the setting up house bit on it's own. The problem for me is where I can and want to spend my energy. My heart's desire is to have a series of groups studying God's Word together. I would so like to see several women in our church open their homes to a couple of friends and neighbours and host a type of "Discover the Bible" sessions. I want to encourage several women to see they have the background and are in the right place to develop that in their own way without there being a "professional" ministry person around, but because this is part of mentoring and discipling strategy, I will be there to accompany for a certain time. I want to show people in our church how to develop outreach - and we have already been here 3 years trying to model that.
My heart's desire is to be with people sharing about Jesus and seeing God's working in their lives.
I would so like to see more people understand how much God loves them and be fully in relationship with Him.
Setting up a home for my family is important. Organising the house so it fits in with our ministry needs is important. But it's going to take me away from putting time into the above desires.

I also struggle with this time issue because I know our time here in this place is limited. Pascal will be eligible for retirement in 10 years. So let's say we will be here for another 10 years. We've already been here 3. Things move so slowly in France; mentalities change very slowly in the church at least. People in this region think 30 or 40 years ago isn't very long! How much can we help our church develop growth (spiritual maturity and, God willing, numerical capacity) in the time we will have? Will our contribution help and bear fruit ? Is what we feel we should be doing helping to build up God's Kingdom ? Time is passing. Have there been any changes ? Can we see any results ? Are people being reached ?

I have another balancing act to do : this is not our house - we probably will never own our own home - but we will be setting it up for the church to use as a manse. So I will be keeping in mind that others will follow us into this house; that resources are limited for doing and re-doing ; that we have to be wise about it all. Yet I want this house (which is a really good investment for the church) to be well done and built to last. So I want us to do a good job. That means time and energy. Yet it will be our base only for a time, then we move on. My quandary is : invest time in the house or in ministry with people ? How can I do both ????(because I usually try to fit all that I want to do into my schedule!)


And that brings me back to the article below. What is the definition of success ? How do we measure the value of what we do ? What is important ?


IS MY GOAL TO BE PRODUCTIVE ? By Daniel and Anika in Niger (Aug '11)

We been writing lately about the frequent power cuts
in the offi ce which impeded signifi cantly the work, not only
of Daniel, but everyone in the offi ce. We are glad to say
that as the cooler weather arrived, the power cuts became
less and less frequent, increasing Daniel’s productivity with
the accounts for SIM Niger. Although Daniel is very happy
to feel like he might be able to reaching his goal of having
the accounts up to date by the end of the SIM fi nancial year
(that is 30th September), the regular frustration of having
his productivity cut has led us to thinking about what is a
productive use of time?
Is it more productive to sit behind a computer answering
emails and entering fi gures into spread sheets or is it more
productive to sit around on the steps outside (as it is too hot
to stay inside when the power is out with no fans working) with
others in the offi ce, both missionaries and Africans, spending
time getting to know each other better, having a laugh and
encouraging each other? Is it more productive to be driving
around from one guest house to the other arranging which
rooms need to be cleaned for the next day and summarising
Moore College notes in advance or is it a more productive
use of time to sit with a neighbour with whom you have no
common language, struggling to understand each other
while watching your children play together?
So often in our culture we need to be able to say, “I achieved
this, this and this today.” It was interesting that the power
cuts at the offi ce didn’t bother the Africans who work there
nearly as much as the missionaries! When thinking about
productivity, I (Anita) always think of the passage in Luke
11:38-42 where Martha is condemned by Jesus for focusing
on “productivity”. I can’t help but think that Martha is too
hard done by in this passage. That just shows how far my
perspective is from where it should be.
So often it is the times that the world would consider an
unproductive use of time” that is actually the most benefi cial.
Time spent with people, listening to Christian music, not to
mention time not just reading but refl ecting on God’s word
and praying. It is the times where it might seem like we are
not “doing” much, that God does so much. Maybe our
priorities need to shift a little and put the “unproductive” times as a priority rather
than what we do only if we have time.

No comments:

Post a Comment