Pages

Thursday, April 21, 2011

What goes down must go up ....


If only I could be so joyful as this person as I'm riding along!
So how is my training going, you ask ?

I've now done more than 400 kms counting the exercise bike. But I'm supposed to do 1000 km before being really ready for the Ardéchoise. "Sigh!"  8 weeks to go so that makes 77 km per week to do !

Last week I decided to pedal to Annonay to attend a conference on Loss and Mourning. I arranged to stay overnight with Christian friends and to return "en vélo" the next day. It's 45 km one way.

Well ! whatever did I get myself into ??? I had bike bags to contain a change of clothes and some pick-me-ups. Pascal volunteered to be back-up team. I had 4 hours to get there, knowing that others before me with less weight and no bags had managed to do it in 2 1/2 hours.  Here are some of my reflections ...

- what goes down must go up! Never get too relieved when you have some downhill to do because you know you are going to have to go back up on the return trip!
- but make the most of the downhill to catch your breath, move your arms and shoulders, drink and stand up on the pedals to relieve a sore bottom!
- hold your tummy in when the cars and other bike riders go past!
- watch out for nettles when you make toilet stops.
- don't eat too much before leaving.
- don't expect to have time or energy or the balance to admire the country side as you pedal.
- how do you sit up straight on a bike, take your hands off the handle bars and ride along???
- God, it's now that you are supposed to get behind me and push ! 
- God, if you really want to encourage me, you'll give me angels' wings right now!
- God, do you know of a way to lose 10 kg in a short time without risk !???

A tip for missionaries in cross-cultural situations : you know you have fully adapted to your host country when you talk to yourself in your second language and not in your mother tongue during the most painful moments of climbing up those hills !! :)

To cut a long story short : I did 21 km of up hill and reached the highest point of the trip way over the time schedule, shaking and tired (did I mention I had a head wind as well ??). I phoned Pascal to come and transport me the next 10 km or so because I wasn't going to make it in time and he turned up 5 minutes later! He'd anticipated the need and had been stalking me in the car !

He let me off 7 km before my goal and I got to my host's house, a shower, a rest and a conference. A big night's sleep before heading back the next day. Same problem with added fatigue - got the the highest point, called Pascal, rendez-vous made and I launched into a 10 km downhill stretch - I DESERVED THAT 10 KM DOWNHILL STRETCH!!!! and Pascal was waiting with coffee at the start of the next climb.

I managed to do 70 km in 2 days and when I saw the climbs I had had to do I did feel some pride in my achievement, but I really don't think I'll make the 80 km ride for the Ardéchoise. I've just spent 5 days recovering!!!

Anyway, I'm going to keep training. I'm actually starting to enjoy riding. And I want to achieve something major for my 50th birthday. One of the fruits of the Spirit is PERSEVERANCE ! It's the same word in French! Paul was talking about persevering in the faith, but I think it can apply to my goal because it's a spiritual lesson for me. Think of all the images I can use when describing our spiritual walk !

Here is a cartoon by a famous Belgian personality Guy Deluck :

The Cat says "If I really had to ride at my own rhythm .... I wouldn't move at all !"

If we Christians weren't challenged to progress in our faith through teaching, life experiences and even through suffering, we would never advance. Thank God for the Holy Spirit who accompanies us through it all - our teacher, guide, comforter, encourager, prompter. We are called to continue the race, to advance in maturity, to serve the Kingdom's purposes. We must persevere. We have to rely on God to do it. We know we will get there in the end. Praise the Lord !!

No comments:

Post a Comment